With the official day of spring hovering a day away, (March 20, 2015) its time to start talking about the spring garden chores. Nothing is better than getting some fresh air to invigorate and get a little dirt under your nails. You know what they say; gardeners never get depressed because they get lots of Vitamin D from being outside! The birds start singing and we know spring is here when the snowdrops and daffodils start peeping up out of the ground. To keep you active, motivated and to help spring along, here are some ideas to crank you into motion.
2. Clean out pumps and filters in water features removing all the leaves and debris. Aerate the water. Eradicate algae growth.
3. Start dahlia and caladium tubers inside with well-drained potting soil. Set out after last frost date coordinating with colors in the annual and perennial beds.
4. Feed spring bulbs when leaves emerge through the ground with compost or organic bulb fertilizer.
5. Make note of areas that need annual color or groundcovers. Set out annuals after last frost date (May 1).
6. Force branches of flowers trees and shrubs.
7. Apply lawn fertilizer and broadleaf pre-emergent according to proper packaged directions on the label.
8. Pull, dig and destroy perennial weeds. Walk through the garden once a week with a bucket to oversee consistently.
9. Secure safety equipment while gardening (ear and eye protection, steel–toe, treaded boots, proper gloves for jobs performed.)
10. Clean out birdhouses and add birdbaths.
These are just a few of the chores spring holds awaiting your arrival to the great outdoors. If you need motivation in getting an area of your garden ready for spring, MasterPLAN can give you design ideas. Call us today at 610.628.2480.
Stay up to date with what is happening with MasterPLAN Outdoor Living.
With over 20 years of experience, MasterPLAN is able to create beautiful outdoor living spaces to complement all types of landscapes.
Patio and deck roof systems can be customized to suit any home and provide year-round protection.
When the sun sinks low, MasterPLAN projects come to life!
Stone, metal and wood beautifully enhance the look of this Center Valley home. Learn more about this MasterPLAN project…
This Center Valley project combines all of nature’s finest elements into one beautiful landscape design.
MasterPLAN specializes in timeless and low maintenance materials.
This lovely couple from Bethlehem feel like they are on vacation everyday in their own MasterPLAN created backyard!